Powered By Blogger

Sunday 19 May 2013

256, Star Trek Into Darkness

Firstly, I certainly do not claim to be a 'Trekkie' in any way.  Even as a kid growing up - I rarely sat down to watch any of the original episodes with Shatner, Nimoy and the rest although like everyone else - I certainly was aware they existed. 

Even after these ended, the new adventures of Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager & Enterprise (I did my homework!) still didn't win me over as a fan - that was until J.J Abrams took the helm, introduced a cast that I totally rate (each individually and even more as a collective) and all of a sudden - I was hooked!

I loved the first instalment - as always, it takes time for a new team to get together and the initial outing covered that off very nicely, setting up our Enterprise crew as a likable bunch of young adventurous and knowing these relationships were already in place meant that part two could get straight down too it.

The special effects were awesome, 3D was spectacular, acting was superb, jokes were plentiful, action was breathtaking, I could go on and on.  For those that haven't seen the first one I highly recommend you watch it first even if just to familiarise yourself with the characters and their own reasons for being selected.  Each has a story and its important that you meet them all in the way J.J intended but once you've been formally introduced, you'll love them just as much as me.

Everyone returns for the sequel (why wouldn't they?) including Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood)who's been aged more than the rest of them but even so, Pine, Quinto, Saldana, Urban, Pegg, Cho & Yelchin (a.k.a) Kirk, Spock, Uhuru, Bones, Scotty, Sulu & Chekov make a dream team of gun-ho explorers who's camaraderie for one another is unrivalled.

There is however one more character that you wont want to ignore - Khan.  Our very own Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) is absolutely awesome as the villain, hell bent on taking down Starfleet to the best of his ability and with the introduction of the Klingon's as well (far more darker than those ever seen before) the table is set for a proper battle between good & evil.

To be honest - that's all I'm going to say.  I don't want to take anything away from the big-screen experience you will encounter when you sit down to watch this and the cinema is a must-see for all fans of the first outing.  Go Now!  Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment