Powered By Blogger

Thursday 26 January 2012

166, Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

I had to trek right back to Blog 13 in January of 2010 to find the first instalment of this modern classic and to make sure i didn't totally contradict myself read it back to re-enlighten myself with my thoughts and comments so many blogs ago.

Well, luckily nothing has changed.  London has evolved, Law and Downey Junior are even more comfortable in their newly adopted alter egos and with a new love of the character through BBC's 'Sherlock' I really felt i knew a little bit more about him this time round.

For those in the UK who have seen Sherlock, the BBC adaptation just finished its second series you will instantly recognise one has definitely decided to copy the other, I'm just not sure which way round it goes.  The introduction of Sherlock's brother (Mycroft Holmes) in both adaptations is well received and the movie version hails the legend that is Stephen Fry, albeit slightly disturbing as a 'Qi' regular to see my favourite academic almost baring all for the viewers in a performance that's only bettered by my favourite character of all time, Melchett (in whatever Black Adder guise you care to mention).

We have done away with Mark Strong's wizardry and its a far more sinister Professor Moriarty who lends his hand to the villain in this movie with a great plot which sees Holmes and his newly married sidekick have to find the missing brother of a Romany Gypsy who is believed to be part of a evil scheme to assassinate most of the European Government officials (I think?).  I say ? as again, although brilliant & riveting I don't know exactly why but as with the first movie - I dozed again!  and it wasn't even on that late.  Very annoyed as I seemed to miss the killer 10 minutes where all got explained.  Maybe it was just a little too long or maybe there is only so much 'fisticuffs' I was able to stand.  i suppose its a bump to reality after the high flying antics of Ghost Protocol but nevertheless I cant fault the actual movie.

Fry is brilliant, Moriarty is devious, Holmes and Watson are again as close to your two best mates as you would care for and the sad departure of of the beautiful Adler (Rachel McAdams) was more than made up for by the introduction of Madam Simza.

Guy Ritchie played another blinder.  Jolly good show!

No comments:

Post a Comment